UC Career Mentorship Program
The UC Career Mentorship Program provides you with tools and connections to support your career. All 3rd and 4th year UC students, or students in a UC program, can apply to build knowledge and confidence with a UC alumni mentor in your field and new skills to succeed after graduation. The UC Career Mentorship Program launched in 2006 and has been very successful in enhancing the undergraduate student experience at University College and building connections between our students and alumni.
Features of the Program:
Gain one-on-one career advice from alumni
- Students will be matched with an alumni in your area of study or career interest for the 2016-2017 academic year. You will have the opportunity to meet your mentors at least four times to ask questions, seek advice and build your capacity to transition from student life to work life, or post-graduate studies.
Build a network of professionals and peers
- This year, the program is expanding to support students in building a network of alumni and peers on a similar path after graduation. You will be invited to an opening reception plus additional events and workshops during the year to make the most out of opportunities to network and build connections with our mentees and alumni community.
Develop a career plan for after graduation
- In addition to advice, we need a plan. All students in the program will be guaranteed a one-on-one session with our Career Educator, through the UC Success Centre, to talk about your progress in the Mentorship program and to make a plan for after graduation.
Students are now invited to apply to be part of the UC Career Mentorship Program. Limited spots are available. All applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Strong interest in developing your career potential
- Registered in your 3rd year, 4th year or above
- Available for an interview on either October 3 or 4, 2017
- Available to attend the Opening Reception on October 23 at 5 pm
Please note: The Career Mentorship Program is not a job placement service and students agree not to solicit employment from alumni mentors. Soliciting mentors for employment will result in removal from the program.
Application Deadline: Monday, September 25, 2017
Limited Spots Available. Apply Today.
A mentor is a person who is interested in your development, a motivator, a coach and ultimately a person who wants to help your achieve your goals.
Ruhi Kiflen, Mentee Program: Global Health and Health Studies
"Participating in the Alumni Career Mentorship program was enriching as I was able to connect with an individual that was working in the 'real' world to get a perspective of what its like to work within the healthcare industry as I see myself going there in the future. I would recommend this program to other students to help widen their horizons about the different opportunities that are available after completing their undergraduate degree!"
Fayadh Al-Mosawi, Mentee Program: Rotman Commerce
"The mentorship program was helpful in bridging the gap between what it's like to face problems in the real world-- how to set a course for yourself --and how we think those problems would unfold while we're still in school. I would do it again."
Joel Crocker, Mentor Program: Computer Science
“The UC Career Mentorship program connected me with valuable advice that helped shape my professional life. It gave me an opportunity to really think about my career aspirations.”
Joel Montagnes, Mentee
"After spending one year as a mentee in the UC Alumni-Mentorship Program and having UC Principal Donald Ainslie as my mentor, I feel I have more confidence and better prepared to go forth in the world of academia and succeed in the becoming a world class historian."
Banafsheh Bagheri, Mentor Program: Finance and Economics; Psychology
"The mentorship program provides you with a great opportunity to learn more about yourself. Both as a mentor and a mentee, you get to meet a lot of great people, build a supportive network, and get exposed to an infinite number of fantastic possibilities."
Our dynamic team of Alumni mentors is integral to the success of this program, and our college. If you are an alumnus interested in reconnecting with University College, giving back in a meaningful way, and expanding your own network, we invite you to join our Career Mentor team!
The UC Career Mentorship Program launched in 2006 and has been very successful in enhancing the undergraduate student experience at University College and giving alumni the opportunity to reconnect. By matching upper-year students with alumni and friends of UC, the program provides students with valuable advice at a critical point in their education, while mentors get the chance to connect with students and contribute to their College in a meaningful way.
As a participating Mentor, the program involves:
- Contact between mentor and student after we match you. You will connect in person, by phone or by email, as agreed upon between you and your match. We recommend meeting at least four times during the academic year (October until March).
- An introductory networking opportunity with all mentors and students takes place on Monday, October 23, 2017 from 6:00 p.m to 8:00 p.m. in Croft Chapter House.
Applications are now available to be an Alumni Mentor; choose from the following:
Application deadline: Monday, September 18th, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
The UC Career Mentorship Program is a joint venture of the UC Advancement Office and the University College Student Life Office.
Sponsored by University of Toronto Affinity Partner, Manulife.